Saturday, October 24, 2009

macbook music


After a bloody 3 year battle I finally threw in the towel on repairing my pc.

I had built the machine to create music - actually recorded and produced my CD on it.
In the middle of working up some new stuff last year with my band at the time "10" the thing just --- plain --- crashed.
So, recently I carefully studied the ProTools hardware compatibility list to make sure my next pc would be compatible. After concluding there are nearly no pc's still on the market fully compatible, I just bought a nice HP box at Costco figuring I would try my luck.
A wasted weekend later I woefully phoned up Digidesign for advice. Ultimately their advice (and I got the same advice years ago) was "go get a mac"
Now I had trauma in my past as a network admin trying to get mac snob's hardware to cooperate with anything on our network so the thought never really appealed to me.
But I took another look at Digi's ProTools LE HCL and noticed that indeed, nearly every single mac available was fully compatible. (grrrrrrrr)
So onto the apple site I go, terrified at every turn with sticker shock, those things ain't cheap.
A few feeble attempts on craigslist and ultimately I ended up in the apple store, white flag in hand.
Long story short, picked up a 13" macbook pro and I haven't had a single regret. (But I haven't paid the credit card bill yet either) All I can say is my BART commute went from dreary, boring and waaaaayy tooooo long - to incredibly short, fun and productive.
Now I'm that geeky guy on BART, headphones glued in place, working on arrangements and mixes and generally having a BLAST.
If your suffering along with a desktop pc trying to make music, do yourself a gigantic favor.
Sell the dog, and whatever else you have to, go into debt, grab a macbook and make the switch.
k


No comments:

Post a Comment